Let’s be incredibly honest and transparent for a moment. Planning a wedding is hard work. From logistics, to design, to invitations and guest lists… it’s a lot to think about, even for elopements and weddings with an intimate guest list. A few months before each wedding day, as we begin to plan the photography timeline of your dreams, I take a moment to reach out and ask each couple one thing…
If you could provide one piece of marriage or wedding planning advice, what would it be?
And here is what they had to say:
1. Our biggest piece of advice is to respect each other and always communicate. Make sure to also support each other with hopes and dreams! – Emily and Phil, married February 2022
2. Do what you as a couple want, not what everyone else wants. Focus more on the marriage than the wedding ceremony. – Taylor and Jake, married January 2021
3. Make sure you have someone that you can vent to about all of the things that can go wrong (especially during a pandemic) and cheer about all the things that go right! Also, make sure to really enjoy your engagement those first couple of weeks – don’t dive right into wedding planning; just enjoy being engaged. – Brooke and Anthony, married April 2021
4. It is YOUR day and do whatever is going to make you the least stressed. – Allyson and Daniel, married April 2021
5. Get a wedding planner and photographer you trust! It’s important to have a team around you can make your day exactly what you want. – Minda & Paul, married May 2021
6. Take it a step at a time, but don’t delay if there are certain vendors you’d like. – Sydney & Chris, married September 2021
7. Just keep it small. By the time you please everyone of your guests, the magic of what the day means to you can get lost. Never forget that it is only about your love for each other. – Austin and Sara, married October 2021
8. You just have to roll with the punches…planning during a pandemic was very difficult for my type A personality but overall I think it has brought us closer together and that we can make it through anything. – Charlie and Greg, married October 2020
9. Try and hug each other once a day. – Kay and Tom, married April 2022
10. Do what feels genuine to y’all as a couple, people will try to convince you that weddings are for your guests too but really what matters is what YOU want for the day. – Virginia & Jakob, married May 2022
11. Do not put a rush on your date! We pushed our date out 7 months and took time to plan and enjoy our engagement! Enjoy planning your day and tailor your wedding around the two of you because that is what they day is all about! – Danielle and Tim, married June 2022
12. Seek out advice from others if you want it, but ultimately do what you and your partner want. It’s your day and you can’t please everyone – so make it personal to the two of you. – Ashley and Mason, married September 2022.
In summary, many couples agree that it is best to have a team of vendors you trust around you. If you are looking for some planning assistance for your wedding, take a moment to check some of my favorite wedding planners in the state.
What was some of the best wedding planning tips you received while engaged? Let me know in the comments! I’d love to share and continue this thread for others to read.