This year I made a personal goal to simply read more. Disconnect from the *scroll* and put my mind somewhere else.
And I have found I enjoy reading all kinds of genres – from mystery, sci-fi, business, and motivational — just to a name a few. I can hardly pass up on a recommended book from a friend! Each topic fuels me in different ways and I always have some ready to be started.
But I haven’t always been this way! I couldn’t tell you the last time I finished a full book from cover to cover. I had to be intentional with this goal and after diving in, sometimes it’s hard to get me out. I’ll lay in bed flipping pages all through the night without even noticing the time.
I am hoping I can share a few of my favorites here with you all. I’ll host a monthly web-based book club here in my blog and I hope you’ll join me! It keeps me accountable for reading but also allows me to share with YOU some good recommendations. I hope you return the favor simply by sharing what you think I should pick up next. 🙂
This month, I finished a few books actually! A mix of mystery and a little business.
Quitter by Jon Acuff || BUSINESS
- This novel is great for all the entrepreneurs out there, especially the ones like me, who are at the beginning process of building their dream. It’s no lie that one day, I’d love to support myself and my family off of what I love to do – PHOTOGRAPHY! Quitter helps you create the mindset that you need to be fully prepared for this BIG jump and that your current day job is actually you’re biggest supporter of that dream! Luckily, you don’t have to convince me to fall-in-like with my current role as I love it & my coworkers but Jon Acuff will show you WHY this is such a big deal! In the long run, chasing your dream while working your day job has so many positive effects.
- This book had been recommended by other photographers & small business owners. With the countless posts I’ve seen about it, I couldn’t NOT give it a try. I would definitely recommend this to those chasing their dreams with the goal of working for themselves on day!
Next, I moved onto something a little different. I just joined the Kindle Unlimited and picked a book at random from the top recommended list.
Thin Air by Lisa Gray || SUSPENSE
- I’m not even sure how to express my feelings for this book. It’s no secret I’m a sucker for a good true crime show and podcast, so when I picked this book at random and it turned out to be a mystery and suspense novel, I was thrilled! I could barely put it down. A private investigator from New York travels across the country on the case of a lifetime and is able to find the answer to the loose ends she has about her own past along the way.
- Each chapter is from the perspective of different characters and has a fun flow about it that keeps you engaged with jaw dropping cliffhangers at the end of each section. The ending caught me by surprise and had me pre-buying the second novel in the series, Bad Memory, which will be released October 2019.
And speaking of true crime… how can I not share a bit of the SSDGM book?
Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff || AUTOBIOGRAPHY & PERSONAL
- I finished this one up on vacation the other week. The pages are now kissed with sea salt and the book front is stained with sunscreen as I laid it down on my legs to read on the beach. If you have never heard of the My Favorite Murder podcast, it’s a true crime comedy show where two girls bond over their love for the topic and share sentiments along the way. This book goes into more details on their favorite mantras that developed through the show and they reveal more personal stories about themselves. My cousin suggested the podcast to me and we haven’t looked back since! We saw Georgia & Karen at their live show in Louisville, KY and now I can’t read the book in any other voice than theirs. It’s seriously like they were in my head the whole time.
- If you haven’t listened to the podcast, it’s still a fun book but you would definitely get more laughs from it if you know their personalities as you read their jokes.
What are YOU reading this month? Let me know! I’m always looking for something new 🙂
And as a housekeeping note, I am an affiliate for Amazon and I receive a small commission for purchases made through my website. I appreciate if you purchase any books, use the links here if you find my honest review helpful. #keepingitreal
add a comment